NVTC is inviting members and industry leaders to serve as guest bloggers, sharing insights and information on trends or business issues relevant to other members. This week, John Beveridge of Rapidan Inbound shares insights both on closing deals as well as developing a business that you want to close from the Nov. 20 Small Business and Entrepreneur and Business Development, Marketing & Sales joint committee event.
- One of the most difficult things for tech companies, or any company, for that matter, is creating revenue from your technology. Unfortunately, it’s not a matter of build it and they will come.On Thursday, November 20, the Small Business and Entrepreneur and the Business Development, Marketing & Sales Committees hosted a joint event titled, “The Art of the Deal – How Successful High-Growth Companies Close Deals.”
Hosted by Samantha Smith of Etail Eye, the event featured 3 executives from high-growth companies who shared their experiences on how to best generate revenue. Panelists included:
Marty Kaufman, VP of Operations, WeddingWire
Chris Marentis, CEO, Surefire Social
Carolyn Parent, Chief Experience Officer, Gravy
The panelists shared insights both on closing deals as well as doing the things you need to develop business that you want to close. Here are some of the tips the panelists shared.
- A good way to start developing business is to develop your personal brand as well as your company brand. Creating good content is a great way to develop your personal brand and anyone can do it. Chris Marentis started Surefire Social with an eBook.
- Economic down times create opportunities for new businesses. Carolyn Parent recommended that new businesses take what they can get and show results quickly. You may want to land that Fortune 500 account, but if a good SMB opportunity arises, take advantage of it. To close business, find some way to show them value quickly, even if it’s just a needs analysis.
- New businesses can take advantage of sales technology to qualify new business opportunities. Marty Kaufman shared how WeddingWire’s data scientists use predictive analytics to help them target their business development resources to maximize revenue. Don’t overlook the affordable SaaS sales technology resources available to you.
- Depending on which market you serve, your sales strategies will vary. B2C companies should look to create viral buzz around their products and services while B2B companies should position themselves as valued business partners to their customers. The B2G market moves at a glacial pace and sellers need to be early to the party.
These were just a few of the insights the panelists shared at the event. Want to learn more about business development, sales and marketing? Come to the next committee meeting on December 16.